2. Schools should teach children academic subjects which will be useful in their future careers. Subjects such as music and sports are not useful. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
3. Studies suggest that children spend more time watching TV than they did in the past and spend less time in doing active or creative things. What are the causes and what methods can be used to solve the problem?
4. Many people argue that in order to improve educational quality, high school students are encouraged to make comments or even criticism on their teachers. Others think it will lead to loss of respect and discipline in the classroom. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
5. Some people believe that teenagers should learn all school subjects, while others claim that students should focus on the subjects that they are best at or that they are interested in. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
6. University students should pay all the cost of their studies because university education benefits the students themselves rather than the society as a whole. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
7. Some people think that younger people are not suitable for important positions in governments of countries. Others argue that younger people have new ideas in these positions. Discuss both these views and give your opinion.
8. Traffic and housing problems in major cities would be solved by moving big companies, factories and their employees to the countryside. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
9. Rich countries often give financial aid to poor countries, but it does not solve the poverty, so rich countries should give other types of help to the poor countries rather than the financial aid. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
10. Traditional food is being replaced by international fast foods. This has negative effects on family and society. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
11. Some people think that too much money has been spent looking after and repairing old buildings, so we should knock down old buildings and build modern ones instead. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
12. The only way to improve the safety in our roads is to give much stricter punishment for driving offences. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
13. Some people think governments should spend money on measures to save languages with few speakers from dying out completely. Others think this is a waste of financial resources. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
14. Some people say that professional workers such as doctors, nurses and teachers make greater contribution. So they should be paid more than those sport and entertainment persons. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
15. Some people think museums should be enjoyable places to attract and entertain young people. Others think the purpose of museums is to educate, not to entertain people. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
16. Some people think computer and Internet are important in children''s study, but others think students can learn more effectively in schools and with teachers. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
17. In many parts of the world, the incidence of crimes for young people is increasing. Why is this case happening? How should children or teenagers be punished?
18. Society is based on rules and laws. It could not function if individuals were free to do whatever they wanted. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
19. Space travel to the moon is considered as “a step of mankind.” But some people think that space travel has made little difference on people’s lives today. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
20. Nowadays many developing countries are increasingly expanding their tourist industries. Is it a positive or negative development?
21. Some people think that by paying taxes they have made enough contribution to their society. Others think there are more responsibilities than paying taxes. Discuss both these views and give your opinion.
22. Economic progress is one way to measure the success of a country. Some people believe there are other factors. What other factors should be considered? Which one do you think is more important than the others?
23. Some people think that men and women have different qualities and some jobs are suitable for men and some jobs are suitable for women. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
24. Nowadays, many charities and organisations have to publicise their activities by giving a name to a particular day, such as National Children''s day for encouraging better treatment of children, National Non-smoking Day for encouraging people to give up smoking. How effective can these special days be?
25. Some people think that in modern society individuals are becoming more dependent on each other. But others say that individuals are becoming more independent. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
26. Exposure to international media, such as TV, film and magazine, has a significant impact on the local culture. What do you think the impact has been? Do you agree that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
27. Some people think that governments should act to change the way individuals live, while others believe that people have the freedom to choose their own lifestyles. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
28. Some people think that national sports teams should be financially supported by the government. However, others argue that they should be funded by non-government sources (e.g. business, companies). Discuss both views and give your opinion.
29. Some people suggest that a country should try to produce all the food for its population and import as little food as possible. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
30. Nowadays, people are encouraged to throw away and replace the goods that are not the latest models or latest fashion. Do the disadvantages of this phenomenon overweigh the advantages?
31. Some people think that pollution and damage of environment are resulting from a country’s developing and becoming richer, and this is hard to be avoided. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
32. Machines are more and more used in modern society. Do you think the negative influences outweigh the positive ones on individual and society?
33. With the increasing use of mobile phones and computers, people are no longer writing letters now. Some people think the traditional skill of writing letters will disappear. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
34. Modern cities have good conditions in education and medicine. Some people say that all new teachers and doctors should be sent to rural areas to improve the local conditions. Others say people should go where they like. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
35. Many scientists believe that now we can study the behavior of a three-year-old child to see whether they will grow up to be criminals. To what extent do you think the human nature produces crimes? And how can we prevent children from growing up to be criminals?<